Friday, October 30, 2009

Woman





She wanted to be a blade of grass amid the fields,
but he wouldn't agree to be her dandelion.

She wanted to be a robin singing through the leaves,
but he refused to be her tree.

She spun herself into a web , and looking for a place
to rest turned to him...
but he stood straight declining to be her corner.

She tried to be a book, but he wouldn't read.
She turned herself into a bulb,
but he wouldn't let her grow.

She decided to become a woman,

and though he still refused to be a man...
She decided it was all right.



~Nikki Giovanni

2 comments:

Elle said...

I don't know why I am JUST now seeing this post. Wow... *claps!!

Shaking my head at the amount of men that stiffle women.

DollFace said...

I've always loved this poem. Just felt the need to post it recently...I still believe any stifiling done is out of insecurity/fear on their part